Shared March 12, 2019
Compliant mechanisms have lots of advantages over traditional devices. SimpliSafe is awesome security. It's really effective, easy to use, and the price is great. Check out SimpliSafe here: https://simplisafe.com/veritasium
I visited the Compliant Mechanisms Research group at Brigham Young University and spoke to Professor Larry Howell:
At the above link, you can download 3D-print files to make some of the objects in the video, plus learn more about compliant mechanisms.
What I learned about compliant mechanisms I summarize in the 8 P's of compliant mechanisms:
1. Part count (reduced by having flexible parts instead of springs, hinges)
2. Productions processes (many, new, different enabled by compliant designs)
3. Price (reduced by fewer parts and different production processes)
4. Precise Motion (no backlash, less wear, friction)
5. Performance (no outgassing, doesn't require lubricant)
6. Proportions (reduced through different production processes)
7. Portability (lightweight due to simpler, reduced part count designs)
8. Predictability (devices are reliable over a long period of time)
Special thanks to Patreon supporters:
Donal Botkin, James M Nicholson, Michael Krugman, Nathan Hansen, Ron Neal, Stan Presolski, Terrance Shepherd
Animation by Alan Chamberlain
3 Perplexing Physics Problems
Top 10 Fascinating Attempts at Creating PERPETUAL MOTION Machine
What is a Fourier Series? (Explained by drawing circles) - Smarter Every Day 205
The Ingenious Design of the Aluminum Beverage Can
Incredible Rolling Objects which aren't Spheres!
The Magic of Chemistry - with Andrew Szydlo
4 Revolutionary Riddles
The Antikythera Mechanism - 2D
Are You Lightest In The Morning?
Turning old jewelry into pure gold bars
The Glass Age, Part 2: Strong, Durable Glass
Things you can make from old, dead laptops
The cheap Chinese bulb that won't turn off
Does Planet 9 Exist?
The Unbeatable Game from the 60s: Dr NIM
Two Vortex Rings Colliding in SLOW MOTION - Smarter Every Day 195
Top 5 Near Perpetual Motion Machines