Shared March 12, 2019
Compliant mechanisms have lots of advantages over traditional devices. SimpliSafe is awesome security. It's really effective, easy to use, and the price is great. Check out SimpliSafe here: https://simplisafe.com/veritasium
I visited the Compliant Mechanisms Research group at Brigham Young University and spoke to Professor Larry Howell:
At the above link, you can download 3D-print files to make some of the objects in the video, plus learn more about compliant mechanisms.
What I learned about compliant mechanisms I summarize in the 8 P's of compliant mechanisms:
1. Part count (reduced by having flexible parts instead of springs, hinges)
2. Productions processes (many, new, different enabled by compliant designs)
3. Price (reduced by fewer parts and different production processes)
4. Precise Motion (no backlash, less wear, friction)
5. Performance (no outgassing, doesn't require lubricant)
6. Proportions (reduced through different production processes)
7. Portability (lightweight due to simpler, reduced part count designs)
8. Predictability (devices are reliable over a long period of time)
Special thanks to Patreon supporters:
Donal Botkin, James M Nicholson, Michael Krugman, Nathan Hansen, Ron Neal, Stan Presolski, Terrance Shepherd
Animation by Alan Chamberlain
Why Are 96,000,000 Black Balls on This Reservoir?
Are Negative Ions Good For You?
Making Stuff Smaller: A look at high-powered nano-circuits and micro-robots
Why Do Venomous Animals Live In Warm Climates?
Drill through anything (conductive) with Electrical Discharge Machining
What the Fahrenheit?!
Oldest Technologies Scientists Still Can't Explain
Inside MIT's Nuclear Reactor
Can Humans Sense Magnetic Fields?
5 Bizarre Aircraft That Pushed the Boundaries of Engineering
"YOU WON'T BELIEVE YOUR EYES!" - Smarter Every Day 142
America's Iron Giants - The World's Most Powerful Metalworkers